After the chequered flag was waved between the Abbey and Woodcote, King George VI personally congratulated all the drivers of the “Alfa Team” for the exceptional result: pole position (Farina), victory (Farina) and other two places on the podium, fastest lap (Farina) and the top of the league throughout the Grand Prix. “Nino” Farina thus also took home the first “hat trick” of F1.This is the beginning of a new era in the racing world. In the following decades, Formula 1 will become “Queen” category, the most followed by the public, a real “global” phenomenon and even Alfa Romeo will follow a path of enormous commercial expansion and international fame.The 158 is the result of a project of 1938, and the “Alfetta”, which were still competitive twelve years later, albeit with an interval imposed by world events, are still in the midst of their technical development.The regulation of the new-born F1 allows the cars to be equipped with a 1.5 litre supercharged engine, or 4.5 litres with atmospheric power: the 158 has an eight-cylinder in-line of 1479 cc with compressor which, starting from 195 HP in ’38, in its subsequent developments arrived at Silverstone in ‘50 with almost 300 HP. In 1951, with the “159”, evolution of the “158”, the engine reached a maximum power of 425 hp (450 in test), thanks to a two stage compressor and a whole host of other improvements. The regulation also does not state a weight limit for the cars, nor for the amount of fuel on board.
The supremacy of the 158 at Silverstone assumed a high symbolic value for Alfa Romeo. The sporting achievements of the Alfetta were a driving force for the rebirth of the Alfa, after the difficulties and damages of a world war that inevitably left its mark. The Alfetta 158 is to be considered as the closing car of the pre-war era of the brand. In 1951, after the second world championship won by Fangio with the “159”, Alfa Romeo officially retired from racing to concentrate personnel and equipment on the series production.